Taking Over The Family Business


There comes a point where the decisions we make and the potential we have meet at a crossroad. It is in this moment we can finally see a distinguished end from our separated beginning. The past uncertainty in our decisions and the fear while trying to accomplish our potential come to a halt in that crossroad, and the light where they meet now shows a continuous green. Though challenges of travel will continue to arise, the focus of our future is clear. Distractions and off ramps leading to obscure locations will lure and persuade to rest, the travel itself is the only way to reach the ultimate destination.

Last month I moved back home to meet my crossroad. For many years I was stricken by the fear of my potential, and the feeling of inadequacy in my decisions. By continuously moving home I am finding my potentials realized and my decisions sure.

I’ve moved back home to take over the family business, a candy/crafts store with a potential for even greater things. In making this decision to move home, I had a lot to weigh on my mind. My major concern was the social aspect of my decision. I am, and have been one of the last to find a spouse; one I can share my life with and enjoy the journey. This is an important goal to me, and was the most difficult to deal with in moving back home. Where I was living the social atmosphere was rich with opportunity to find one to fit this part. In moving home I have found those opportunities as quoted by a good friend Steven Tucker to be “less than slim pickins”. All I can do is hope the opportunity to present itself, and allow me to act upon that presented opportunity.

There are great benefits to this change in my life. The most important is the return to family values. While I don’t have my own family, I am still part of my parent’s family. Because of the demand of this Country Candy store, my mom was often stuck to a set schedule similar to any job along the 8-5. Her responsibilities to family life had taken a back seat to the demand of this store, and consequently was hurting the balance of family life. This experience to our family has opened to our minds the importance of mother being in the home where all possible, and as circumstances allow, as has been specified by the Brethren. I am glad I could come and be that very relief needed to my mom in her desires to nurture in the home.

I have felt relieved to be on a path that now seems progressive, as before my motivation for finding some future was, and referring back to a previous quote, “less than slim pickins”. I am grateful for the opportunities presented, and have hope that everything will work in order to produce good fruits. I still realize the journey will have those less than desirable outcomes, but I am still grateful that I can be traveling down this road, progressively gaining ground from my crossroad placement.

Story by Andrew Bingham

2 comments:

  1. Go Andrew! So excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy! What an awesome guy my cousin is! I had no idea you were running the candy store!! That is so great! Good for you! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete